Types of Aid Awarded


Peninsula College offers both federal and state grants.  Grants are considered “gift aid” because they do not have to be repaid as long as students attend their classes, do not withdraw, do not stop attending mid-quarter, and do not complete zero credits for a quarter.

  • Pell Grant
  • SEOG (Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant)
  • SNG (Washington State Need Grant)*
  • CBS (College Bound Scholarship)*
  • Passport to College Foster Youth Promise Scholarship*
  • Peninsula College (PC) Grant
  • Tuition Waiver Grant

The amount of Federal Pell Grant funds a student may receive over his or her lifetime is limited by a federal law to be the equivalent of six years of Pell Grant funding. Since the maximum amount of Pell Grant funding a student can receive each year is 100%, the six-year equivalent is 600%. Please note that Pell Grant funding is only eligible for up to three quarters of full-time enrollment per academic year; if you receive full-time Pell Grant funding during summer quarter, you may not be eligible for Pell Grant funding in spring quarter.  For questions about how your Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility Used is calculated, please contact the Financial Aid Office, or, to view your percentage of Pell Grant used please visit http://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA/.

In order to receive certain grants, students must meet certain eligibility criteria, as determined by the Financial Aid Office. Certain grants or scholarships, such as Tuition Waiver Grant, may only be available in the form of a tuition payment, and students may not receive the funds directly. Some types of aid, such as Peninsula College Grant, Tuition Waiver Grant, loans or work-study, require students to be enrolled in at least 6 or more credits in order to be eligible.

     *Washington State Aid Funds

Peninsula College students who receive State Aid funds must read the statement of conditions below:

Washington State Aid - Conditions of Award

Please visit www.opportunitypathways.wa.gov to receive more information about financial aid, scholarships, work study, and student loans.
In order to receive this financial assistance, students will need to comply with the following conditions. If you have questions or find that you cannot comply with these conditions, please contact your institution’s financial aid office.

  1. You do not owe a repayment to any federal or state grant or scholarship nor are you in default on a state or federal student loan.
  2. You must meet the minimum eligibility requirements for the program(s) awarded.
  3. If you do not attend or if you withdraw from your classes, you may owe a repayment of all or part of any state grant or scholarship you have received.
  4. The offer of this financial assistance is subject to, and conditioned upon, the availability of funds. Washington Student Achievement Council and the institution, through which the grant, scholarship, or work study is awarded, reserve the right to withdraw, reduce, or modify the awards due to funding limitations or due to changes in circumstances which affect your eligibility for the program(s).
  5. You must maintain academic progress standards following your institutions policies for state aid programs. You must not pursue a degree in theology or, if you are a state grant or scholarship recipient, hold a bachelor’s degree.

You may choose to voluntarily make financial contributions to Washington Student Achievement Council in recognition of the assistance that you received. All voluntary contributions will be used to provide financial assistance to other students. Please contact finaid@wsac.wa.gov for more information.


Direct Stafford loans – subsidized (sub) are “need-based” loans.  “Subsidized” means the federal government pays interest on the loan for you until you enter repayment.  You must be enrolled in at least 6 credits to receive a loan.

Direct Stafford loans – unsubsidized (unsub) are “non-need based” loans.  “Unsubsidized” means the federal government does not pay interest on the loan.  Students are responsible for paying all accrued interest.  Interest can be paid while the student is in school, or it can be deferred until the student enters repayment.  If deferred, the unpaid interest that accrues is added to the loan amount the student borrowed, a process known as “capitalization.”  You must be enrolled in at least 6 credits to receive a loan.

  • Direct Subsidized Stafford Loan
  • Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans
  • PLUS (Parent Loan for Undergraduate students)


Work-study programs offer students the opportunity to gain valuable work experience while earning money for college. Both on-campus and off-campus positions are usually available.

Students receive their work-study funds in the form of a paycheck based on their hourly wage and the number of hours they have worked in any given pay period. Because work-study funds must be earned, they are not available at the beginning of the quarter to help pay tuition and fees or purchase books.

  • Federal work study (FWS)
  • State work study (SWS)

Due to a change in state regulations, TANF recipients may be required to report SWS earnings as income. For more information, please contact DSHS.

For more information regarding federal financial aid programs, please click here to view the US Department of Education website.