Professional Technical Education / High School Students
What Is The Professional Technical Education Dual Credit Program?
The Professional Technical Education Program is a dynamic educational reform movement and process of curriculum structure with a workforce preparation emphasis into which schools can integrate proven educational improvement elements, such as contextual learning. It seeks to meet high academic standards, eliminate duplication of student effort, and provide the best teaching and learning experiences schools can offer to prepare students for the real world of work. Professional Technical Education on the North Olympic Peninsula is a partnership between Peninsula College, area school districts, and local business, labor, and community representatives.
Who Can Participate In The Professional Technical Education Program?
Dual credit courses are open to high school students in grades 9-12 who wish to complete skill-based, college-level courses while attending high school. These courses allow high school students to explore career opportunities and areas of interest while establishing an official college transcript.
Where Are Classes Taught?
Dual credit classes are taught in local high schools by qualified high school instructors. Any high school student may take a dual credit course, but only those who fulfill course and registration requirements will qualify for college credit. Taking a Professional Technical Education dual credit course does not affect the high school transcript.
Why Take Professional Technical Education Classes?
- Taking a dual credit class is smart thinking!
- Professional Technical Program students complete courses that help to prepare them for career opportunities beyond high school.
- Professional Technical Program students learn what they need to know and do to be productive in the world of work.
- Professional Technical Program students save time and tuition dollars by getting a head start on fulfilling college degree or certificate requirements.
- Professional Technical Program students may be able to bypass entry-level college courses when they enroll in a community college.
When Are Professional Technical Program Classes Offered?
Dual credit classes are offered during regularly scheduled high school class times.
How Can A Student Take A Professional Technical Program Class?
Please visit the Students section for eligibility requirements