Running Start

Interested in Running Start?

Attend a Running Start High School Informational meeting for students and parents.

Registration is open until the first day of the Quarter. To get started, schedule a Placement Test to see if you qualify. Kick-start your college future today!

Read our featured alumni story:
Sarah and Ryan McCarthey, Dungeness Valley Creamery

What is Running Start?

If you’re an academically motivated high school junior or senior, you may be able to take college courses tuition free, earning credit for both high school and college.

Washington State’s Running Start Program, allows juniors and seniors enrolled at public high schools to enroll in college courses for both high school and college credit.

  • Tuition is covered up to 15 credits per quarter as long as the combined course load between the college and high school stays below 1.2 FTE.
  • Enroll in a combination of classes at Peninsula College and the high school or take classes only at the college.
  • Students with combined high school and college schedules that exceed 1.2 FTE during any college quarter must pay college tuition on the additional credits.

The Running Start Program pays the tuition and students are responsible to pay the fees.  Students who qualify for the free or reduced lunch program at their high school may qualify for a waiver, contact the High School Programs Manager for further information.

These classes can not only help meet your high school graduation requirements, but they also go on your permanent academic transcript and can count toward your college or university degree.

By participating in Running Start, you can get a head start on your college education, decrease the amount of time you spend in school, make a smoother transition to college and reduce educational costs for yourself and your family.

College credits are transferable to colleges and universities in the state of Washington, according to the guidelines established by individual institutions. Transfer credit may vary when applying to out-of-state colleges and universities.