Company / Employer
ORGANIZATIONAL SUMMARY: The Port Townsend Marine Science Center (PTMSC) is an educational organization devoted to the mission: Inspiring conservation of the Salish Sea. PTMSC achieves our mission through three core competencies: 1) exceptional visitor experiences in our two exhibit buildings at Fort Worden State Park, 2) extensive lifelong education programs for all ages, and 3) a wide range of citizen science research projects. Through these endeavors we strive to create our vision: A community where ocean literacy is a local legacy fostering generations of knowledgeable and passionate stewards of our coast and marine environment.
- The Port Townsend Marine Science Center is seeking an environmental educator with a passion for marine biology and conservation and working with youth outdoors to assist the Education Coordinator in overall management and operations of PTMSC marine biology Summer Camps.
- Must be available for:
- Training and curriculum development weeks of June 10th & June 17th
- All camp dates Monday – Friday for the weeks of June 24th, July 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th, and August 5th & 12th
- Camp wrap-up and debrief days the week of August 19th
- No camp is scheduled the week of July 4th; prep days may be scheduled part of the week
- To learn more about summer camps at PTMSC, visit our website: https://ptmsc.org/programs/learn/camps
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
- Accomplish pre-camp tasks with the Coordinator including creating schedules and activities, managing camper rosters, meeting with staff, and gathering/preparing materials.
- Lead activities on a variety of marine biology and natural history topics for groups of campers ranging in age from 3 to 15 years old.
- Assist in training and mentoring interns and youth counselors.
- Assist Coordinator with maintaining camp paperwork throughout camp including camper rosters, signin/sign-out
- Work alongside AmeriCorps members serving at PTMSC, providing training and guidance as necessary
- Communicate with camper parents/guardians during camp about activities, expectations, and any camper issues
- Abide by PTMSC camp policies to ensure the safety of campers and staff at all times.
- Document camp activities and curriculum to be filed electronically.
- Assist with carrying out evaluation, debriefs and end of camp reports.
Education and Experience
- College degree in biology, environmental science, education, or related field; or equivalent experience
- Minimum of one year of experience leading hands-on science education programs for youth in a field and classroom setting
- Previous supervisory/team leadership experience
- CPR & First Aid Certification attained prior to start date
Position Description: Camps Assistant
Port Townsend Marine Science Center 532 Battery Way, Port Townsend WA www.ptmsc.org
Required Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of informal education methods and strategies for engaging various age groups, from children to adults, in a friendly, outgoing and professional manner.
- Excellent customer service skills for communication with camper parents/guardians
- Comfortable using software such as Microsoft Office and Google Suite
- Ability to work well with a variety of people from various backgrounds and cultures.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to walk on uneven terrain for up to two miles carrying up to 30 pounds
- Comfortable working on/over the water on piers, floating docks, and small boats.
- Able to clear state and federal background checks
COMPENSATION $13/hour, paid bi-monthly; this position does not include health insurance benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Priority deadline for applications is April 1st. Only electronic submissions will be accepted. Please email a cover letter and resume to Education Coordinator Carolyn Woods firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: “Camps Assistant Position Application.”