Company / Employer
Under the general supervision of the Operations Manager and at direction of the Lead Maintenance Workers, this position is responsible for maintaining City properties and utilities so they are clean, safe and suitable for use by the public. He/she performs a broad range of routine repair and installation tasks that are essential to the upkeep of all public utilities within the city, including road repair, parks, water and sewer system maintenance and general labor.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position may be assigned to different functional areas including street, water, sewer, parks and facilities. Work duties may include, but are not limited to, any combination of:
1. Uses a wide variety of tools and equipment to perform area cleaning, digging ditches, moving debris or dirt;
2. Monitors various equipment to determine status relative to safety standards; repairs broken or malfunctioning equipment.
3. Landscapes, maintains and repairs public streets and facilities;
4. Provides services for lawn care, flower maintenance, tree trimming, and other upkeep of city parks and trails;
5. Performs routine maintenance duties on pumps and other equipment within the water and sewer systems;
6. Drives city vehicles, and operates a variety of heavy equipment;
7. May work weekend events, i.e. hauling trash, signs/banners, tents, etc.;
8. Performs other duties as assigned; and
9. Responds to questions and complaints from the public pertaining to this job function.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
1. Skill in operating and maintaining power tools and hand tools;
2. Knowledge of basic building maintenance techniques;
3. Knowledge of basic safety procedures and precautions; ability to assess potentially dangerous situations and request assistance as necessary;
4. Knowledge and experience in the use of heavy commercial vehicles and heavy equipment;
5. Ability to follow verbal and written directions and work effectively as a member of a crew;
6. Ability to project a commitment to public service and work with the public in a friendly, tactful and caring manner;
7. Ability to interact effectively with co-workers demonstrating respect and courtesy;
8. Maintenance of good physical condition and overall stamina to perform moderate to strenuous physical activity such as standing for long periods of time, traversing rough terrain, working at heights, lifting and carrying heavy loads. Incumbent will need to climb, bend and work in tight or confined areas.
Completion of high school diploma (or GED) is required. At least one year of work experience in general construction or building maintenance is preferred. The Seasonal Worker must have the overall stamina and ability to perform moderate to strenuous physical activity, including working in/over water, at heights or on scaffolding, and to lift/carry up to 50 pounds. Possession of a Washington State driver’s license and an acceptable driving record is required. The ability to work mandatory overtime is required.
Work is performed primarily outdoors, sometimes in inclement or severe weather conditions. Employees in this position are often working on public roadways and exposed to traffic hazards. Job site conditions include exposure to open trenches, sewage, various chemicals and dust or pollen. Job duties may expose the employee to dampness, direct sunlight, machinery or its moving parts, chemicals, pesticides, insect stings, noisy work areas, noxious odors, chemical fumes and liquid solvents. He/she may be required to work near live electrical lines. This position is at potential risk of exposure to blood borne pathogens. Protective clothing is required and will be provided for completion of some job requirements, including steel-toed boots, rubber boots, rubber or plastic gloves, safety glasses or goggles, ear protection devices, hard hats and other specialized safety equipment.
https://www.sequimwa.gov/jobs.aspx or by stopping in at our Civic Center (152 W. Cedar St, Sequim) to pick up a paper application.