The Vice President for Finance and Administration (VPFA), reporting directly to the President, is a key member of the College leadership team and is responsible for implementing the shared College vision with the Vice Presidents for Instruction, Student Services, and the President, in long-range planning, daily administration of the College, and principle-centered leadership. The VPFA serves as the Chief Financial Officer and has administrative responsibility for six departments; provides leadership that demonstrates an appreciation of all College constituencies; contributes to the positive working environment of the College; and serves as a representative of the College in the community, region, and beyond.
Candidates for this position will have the opportunity to:
- Engage with an energized and collaborative College community
- Help advance student success through the sustained support of the College mission, vision and Guiding Principles
- Guide and support the institutional strategic priorities, including Guided Pathways and Strategic Enrollment Management
Candidates for this position should:
- Embody the College’s Guiding Principles and model high levels of integrity, ethics, and transparency.
- Facilitate the development of a shared vision through strategic planning.
- Exhibit and inspire an energetic, innovative, and collaborative approach to problem-solving.
Located in the northwest corner of the United States, Peninsula College is nestled in the foothills of the Olympic Mountains. Our main campus in Port Angeles, Washington, overlooks the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the nearby city of Victoria, British Columbia, and has easy access to the Pacific Ocean, Olympic National Park, and Seattle. It is arguably the most beautiful community college setting in the United States. The region is also home to six Native American tribal reservations, which are dispersed across the North Olympic Peninsula.
As a public comprehensive community college with baccalaureate-granting authority, Peninsula College is highly regarded by businesses, schools, and community partners for its culture of innovation, high academic standards, and strategic vision. We are part of the 34-college Washington State Community and Technical College System and are accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
We serve more than 4,670 students through our main campus, Port Townsend and Forks campuses, our correctional facilities, and our online course offerings. In the last decade, PC undertook an ambitious construction campaign to provide a welcoming environment centered on teaching and learning. Our community is vibrant, engaged, and known for its commitment to serving the diverse needs of the local communities across our 3,600 square mile service district.
Our culture is defined by our Guiding Principles and shared governance model, which value respect, open and honest communication, integrity and collaboration. Peninsula College is a leader in the Guided Pathways work in Washington State, and we are deeply engaged in creating institutional change to support this vision. PC is highly regarded as a warm and welcoming place. Find out why, here.
- Lead a robust College strategic and operational planning and assessment process that aligns with resources as well as the College mission and vision.
- Support student success through leading the following: robust planning and assessment processes; effective financial planning and stewardship; construction, maintenance and operations of high quality buildings; state of the art information technology; recruitment and retention of outstanding faculty and staff; emergency preparedness and safety; and the development of funding resources.
- Lead the College’s institutional research and institutional effectiveness processes to assure holistic assessment of college administrative and institutional operations to improve institutional level student learning outcomes.
- Lead the ongoing development and implementation of the College’s short-term and long-term financial plans to assure the fiscal health of the institution through sound stewardship of financial resources in support of teaching and learning.
- Lead the ongoing development and implementation of the College’s Facilities Master Plan to facilitate teaching and learning and practice sound stewardship of the institution’s physical resources.
- Lead the ongoing development and implementation of the comprehensive Information Technology Strategic Plan to enhance educational opportunities and access as well as administrative effectiveness, through stewardship of technology resources.
- Lead the efforts of seeking new revenues and ongoing development of grant opportunities for college success through collaborative partnerships.
- Offer informative, understandable presentations of business and finance issues to board of trustees and other constituents.
- Represent the College by participating in CTC system leadership through service on Business Affairs Commission and other system-wide work groups.
- Serve as the College public records officer and risk manager.
- Serve as Acting President in the absence of the College President.
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience
Peninsula College seeks candidates for the VPFA who have:
- A baccalaureate degree in business or related field required with a master’s degree preferred
- 5-10 years of experience of progressively responsible, successful, relevant experience that includes considerable knowledge of accounting/finance/budgetary processes and procedures in higher education or in the public/private sector
- 5+ years of experience in supervisory role with demonstrated management abilities including supervision of staff, contracts, budgets and project management
- Evidence of successful administrative leadership that demonstrates exceptional organizational, communication, interpersonal, budget management, negotiation and personnel management skills
- Considerable knowledge of accounting/finance/budgetary processes and procedures applicable to the community college system
Full-time annual exempt position.
- Salary: Up to $125,000, dependent upon qualifications and experience
- Excellent benefits package including medical, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance; paid vacation and sick leave; retirement plan; optional credit union and tax deferred annuity programs. Peninsula College contributes $913.00 per month towards the cost of the Washington State employee insurance programs. The College also supports professional development.
- Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant’s suitability and competence to perform in the position.
- In compliance with the Immigration and Naturalization Act, proof of authorization to work in the United States will be required at the time of hire.
The Application Process
To apply, please complete the online application and attach the following documents.
- A statement, no longer than three pages, that addresses the key elements of the VPFA profile and cites specific examples of your background and experience that qualify you to be the next VPFA at Peninsula College.
- A current resume, including a list of a minimum of 3 professional references, including supervisors, peers, and subordinates. Include names, addresses, titles, contact information (phone numbers and email).
- Transcripts of all college-level coursework. Unofficial copies are acceptable upon application.
Priority consideration for applications received no later than Monday, June 25, 2018. Click here for a detailed job description: www.pencol.edu/aboutpc/employment/vice-president-finance-and-administration
The College anticipates in person interviews the beginning of July, 2018. Final candidates will be notified and subject to reference checks.
All inquiries and applications are held in the strictest of confidence. Confidential inquiries about the position, the application procedure, or search process may be directed to:
Director of Human Resources