What is Upward Bound?
Upward Bound is a federally funded college preparatory program that offers assistance to low-income and first-generation, college-bound high school students. The focus of Upward Bound is to develop skills needed for postsecondary education and to help its graduates enter and stay in college working toward a four-year degree.
What Does Upward Bound Do?
Upward Bound offers academic and college advisory services designed to assist students in getting the most out of their high school experience while preparing them to be successful in college:
- Year-round tutoring in the content areas of reading, writing, math, and science.
- A six-week Summer Program: One week at Olympic Park Institute, four weeks of academic courses in language arts, math/science, technology, and foreign language, with the opportunity to earn college credit, ending with a tour of Washington State colleges.
- Individual college advising and counseling.
- College preparation assistance: admission forms, financial aid, and scholarships.
- College/University Tour: over-night and day-long college/university visits, cultural experiences, and business tours.
- Career Exploration early on to help focus students on lifelong goals.
- Workshops: academic, cultural, MSP, HSPE, SAT, and PSAT prep, Senior Culminating Project, and other preparatory workshops.
- Training Stipends available for fully participating students.
Who is Eligible?
- Live in a low-income and/or first-generation, college-bound household
- Be currently enrolled in 9th, 10th, or 11th grades
- Demonstrate academic promise
- Be interested in attending college after high school graduation
- Be willing to participate in a six-week summer academic program
- Be willing to actively participate in all aspects of the Upward Bound Program
- Students must complete an application to be considered for our Program
Who Does Upward Bound Serve?
- Students from families who are both low-income (150% of poverty level) and first-generation, collegebound (neither parent/guardian has a four-year bachelor’s degree).
- Students attending the following high schools:
- Port Angeles High School
- Lincoln High School
- Forks High School
- Forks Alternative School
- Quileute Tribal School
Upward Bound is a part of the U.S. Department of Education's initiative to address critical national needs and support our mission of increasing access to quality postsecondary education. For more information please visit the U.S Department of Education's website